A virtual assistant is a freelancer who provides online support by working remotely. They provide services to people or organizations but do not physically go to their client’s offices. The role of a virtual assistant is to work from home.
Every virtual assistant job is a little different, but there are some common components to expect. Most virtual assistants assist their employer or client by answering emails, transcribing documents, preparing statements and letters, organizing files, coordinating schedules and calendars, making travel arrangements, and generally taking care of business administrative tasks to help a client themselves focus on the other aspects of their work (or personal life).
Roles and responsibilities
Virtual assistants can work as executive assistants, administrative assistants, personal assistants, and other related positions, depending on the client. Virtual Assistant tasks can be any combination of the following:
- Travel arrangements
- Answering and directing calls
- File and document organization
- Calendar and schedule management
- Billing and accounting activities
- Vetting potential clients, projects, partnerships, etc.
- Email monitoring and organizing
- Maintaining or updating a client’s social media or professional profile
- Writing and maintaining records
Since much of a virtual assistant’s job is done through a computer, having excellent typing skills and being very comfortable using various computer programs is a must.
Digital Marketing Virtual Assistant
A digital marketing VA handles the company’s online marketing campaigns. You need to be imaginative about the dos and don’ts of online marketing. They are classified in three ways:
- Search Engine Optimization Assistance
- Social media management assistants
- Content Marketing Assistants.
As a digital marketing virtual assistant, you need to complete the following task:
- analyze data to generate ROI
- Plan, schedule and manage content.
- Create campaign strategies and analyze success.
- Conduct competitive analysis.
Writing Virtual Assistants
As a writing assistant, you will be responsible for all types of content writing jobs. Sometimes an assistant clerk also means “data entry clerk”. So, during your conversation with the client, clarify whether it is a data entry job or a writing job.
As a writing assistant, you must complete the following tasks:
- Write content for the keywords.
- Research niche keywords
- Create content plans
Administrative Virtual Assistants
Virtual administrative assistants are more like office secretaries. All you need is good time management and a good command of the regional accent of English.
As a general assistant you will take care of:
- Calendar management
- Database and file management
- Emails from your boss and clients
- Telephone inquiries
- Appointment/ticket reservations
- Client follow-up
Programming Virtual Assistants
Here you will be hired as a development assistant, either for a website or a mobile application. As a developer, you can work with a startup to optimize your online presence.
As a developer assistant you have to do these tasks:
- Debugging and troubleshooting
- Uploading Content
- Design the layout of the website, app or plugin
- maintenance and updating
Financial Virtual Assistance
Making money is the ultimate goal of any business. However, some founders don’t have time to take care of their finances, so they hire a financial assistant to help them manage personal and company finances.
The Financial Assistant’s responsibilities are:
- Document all money matters
- Analyze account information
- Check for financial discrepancies
- Create assets and liabilities.
- Financial management advice